Monday, October 6, 2014

67th B-Day… sure wish this momma knew how many more of these B-Days there are gonna be…..


Hot diggidy dog... what a week.

Dearest family.

General Conference!!!From the left: Elder Workman. Elder Stone. Elder Cruz. Elder Pirir. Elder Silva (standing). Elder Hansen. Me. Hermana Tingey. Hermana Aponte. Hermana Allred.


It was a hard week this past week. Well it sure started out difficult, but ended very sweet. All week long, especially Tuesday, I couldn't get off of my mind the happenings with Dad and how much I wished I was with you all to assist with the load you're carrying. Brandon and Brett, to see and hear your voices in the videos you sent, it made me miss you both more. I am sorry I am not there to help. I, however, did promise Dad that I would not come home early from the mission for anything (it's not even an option in my mind). Soooo, I trust you all. I know he is receiving the best care or kick in the pants (at their appointed times) from you three. Thanks for being amazing brothers. :) So anyway, I asked one of the elders in our district to give me a Priesthood blessing and literally after that blessing it was like the worry and stress left my mind and heart. I didn't realize it until a few days later, but it was an amazing blessing that told me to forget myself and get to work and then the Lord would bless my family. I surely know He has. :)

Mom, remember the house in Utah we use to go visit the elderly man who's wife had passed away? How we would find a years worth of expired food and cockroaches in his house? Anyway, we found a lady who's exactly like that! Lives alone with her 4 dogs. Doesn't clean well. There's house flies all over inside her house. The smell is stomach retching and that's not even exaggerating. You know, I've smelt a lot in my time, but not much compares to this. We taught her this past week and now that the weather is changing to hot and smothering, the smell was gaggingly strong. We have tried to offer her service to come and help her clean, but she just denies the need for help. How did you get the Utahn couple to the point where they'd accept our help? I don't know how I'm going to enter into her house when it's 90 degrees. So give me some ideas please. :)

Teaching Alejandro (far right) with Robert in our famous park... we can't enter his house or his Mom yells at him or us.


I forgot to tell you all about this experience. So there's this guy in our sector who guards cars for the people who are at the hospital from robbers and such. Anyway, he always talks to us. He has a problem with alcohol and many times is under the influence of such. So Hermana Tingey and I are walking down the street (singin' do what diddy diddy dum diddy do... just kidding), and he says to us, "Elderes! The other day I saw you two walking by and you had two angels with swords walking on both sides of you.". "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (D&C 84:88). UPDATE: we ran into him on Sunday... completely sober wanting to turn his life around... I pray he does.

This past week, I'm not sure what's changed; however, when people say 1 or 2 words of English to us, it's starting to bother me. It's not like they're saying it to practice or learn, but to make fun of us. I never respond in English and it makes me want to talk really fast in Chilean Spanish to just make them feel stupid. Isn't that terrible? Hermana Tingey will say to me now when someone says something in English, "Calm down...". Hahahaha. It's growing my patience. (Brooklyn's english is stinky now. It's growing my patience) oh my!!!

Our zone... Alicahue baby!! I wish I could name everyone... I'll try... we'll see if you can follow who is who....
Elders from the left: Elder Jacho. (top) Elder Hansen. Elder Silva. Elder Workman. Elder Pirir. Elder Vasquez. (bottom elders). Elder Mamani. Elder Cruz. Elder Neira. Elder Stone.
Hermanas from the left: Me. Hermana Aponte. Hermana Allred. Hermana Tingey. (bottom) Hermana Berthelson. Hermana Contreras. Hermana Villalba. Hermana Urzagaste (standing).


I ate "contre de pollo". It's some kind of organ from a chicken. I tried to get them to describe what it does, but to no avail. It was the gizzard or crop of the chicken. That's nasty! I hope we don't die. Hahaha. It definitely had a weird consistency. Kinda rubbery. Smh.

So I have to tell you all. People here in Chile find literally anything to sell in the streets, in the bus, or in the underground metro. The other day we were in the metro and there was one man selling string who was talking about all of its benefits, what you could do with it, how it could be a new toy for your children, etc. He was quite the interesting seller. Another man was selling headlamps and put one on to show everyone how it worked. There is always bands playing in the metro as well. Some of them are extremely good. There was one group with a drum, banjo, bass guitar, and string guitar. They were quite impressive... people on the bus, metro, on the street always give them money... their change. And if they give them enough they offer a CD of their music (if it's a legit band and not just one man singing and playing an instrument). It's one thing in Chile that I find very interesting.

General conference was wonderful!!! I felt reprimanded and fed; although, it was really short. Never in my life have I felt the urgency of the prophet and apostles to get us on the path and to stay on it. I felt they just wanted to smack us all upside the head and say, "get with it people". I truly am grateful for a prophet and apostles, who have the authority of God and speak with His power. "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same." (D&C 1:38). I hope we apply what we learned and we remember the Spirit we felt in our hearts. If you didn't get the opportunity, it's online! :)

Love you all. Thanks for everything.
Brooklyn

P.S. We didn't have changes. I'm staying with Hermana Tingey. :D

P.P.S. I do not have any reports on when I will be coming home. It's still quite a complicated subject. I hope to have some information soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment