Tuesday, June 24, 2014

52 B-Day Stitches, Drunks & Soccor says, Brooklyn T

52 B-Day 1 YEAR DOWN 6 MONTHS TO GO!!!
Stitches, Drunks & Soccer says, Brookie T.

Let me preface this weeks blog with a quick... with a quick story.... Brandon and I every Monday wait for Brooklyn to send the first e-mail and we know she is online.  We then use e-mail like texting... well 5:00 came and went NO Brooklyn.... 6:00 came and went NO Brooklyn 7:00 came and NO Brooklyn.... by now my dear Brandon is calming his mother... 7:01 came and finally and this is what the message was...

Hey Mom, Don't be worried. I had to come see Dr. Johnson because I might have hit my head on a cupboard door and needed stitches. ONLY IN THE MISSION. That's why I'm late. But I'm good. He's stitched me up and I will write you guys, then we will go back to our apartment.
Family. Family. Family.

We find all kinds of people here in the mission. Right now we are teaching an actor of Chilean television, retired military nurse, stay at home Moms, couples with marital problems, an Evangelical pastor, etc. It's amazing to me how the gospel of Christ brings us all together, no matter what our situations are, in order to heal, give hope, love, and serve one another.

Trivia about Chile. They are crazy about soccer. I think that's what they live for. To the point where, in school, they stop classes to watch the games (say what?) and in the streets during the games all you hear are televisions, blown-horns, and yelling. Haha. Right now Chile is playing for the world cup. They have won so far (2 games - against Australia and Spain) and the Chileans are a little on the crazy side of things. We do not teach while the games are on because no one will listen to us and it ends up being a waste of time. This past Wednesday it was absolutely beautiful outside so we sat in a park and studied; it was heavenly.

Trivia about me: I might have done some damage to my head, once again. But this time it wasn't the Chile's fault due to their low doorways. I was in the kitchen, cleaning up something on the floor, and forgot that the top cupboard door was open. I stood up a little strongly... and quickly... and BAM... all I felt was pain. I immediately reacted by putting my hand on my head (felt the goose-egg) and sat on the floor. What I didn't realize was how much I was bleeding until the other Hermanas came into the room after hearing me struggling to the floor in pain. They start freaking out. I'm trying to stay calm, to not cry, and give them instructions of what I needed. Paper towel. The bag of veggies in the freezer. Water. Etc.... After 20 minutes of trying to get it to stop bleeding, we went to the bathroom to wash my hair, as I had blood everywhere from the top of my head to the bottom of my neck and shirt. After we got my hair cleaned and Hermana Veron brushed it for me (I love her), they all told me I needed stitches. I can't see it. So I think I asked them about 10 times if they were sure... So I came to see Dr. Johnson and we took care of it. 5 stitches later... I've got a huge headache, numb ear, bloody hair, but feeling okay. =)

I have been in Chile for 1 YEAR as of the 19th of June! I wish I could remember everything and give a summary of the past year; however, you've all got that in my blog. :) So instead I'm gonna tell you about 12 changes I have seen... 


First and foremost, I am exhausted. There are literally days that I think, "I can't walk another step. I don't know how the Elders do this for 2 years." Walking another step just seems impossible some days; it doesn't even feel like me walking. Angels have uplifted me and the Spirit has put words in my mouth... I have seen miracles...of this I testify. 

Second, I have learned so much about what this gospel means to me and have found a love for my scriptures and the words of prophets, of old and of today. 

Third, my calls as nurse have gotten to be more complicated, extremely confidential, and more consistent. Haha. 

Fourth, I have seen the trust of the missionaries, President and Hermana Wright grow to an incredible level. If someone calls President Wright for a health problem, serious or simple or uncomfortable or comfortable... First response out of his mouth "Call Hna Talbot" :). 

Fifth, I have realized more and more the influence we have on others, children and adults alike. I have seen many members of the church walk away due to how they were treated by other members. This has taught me the importance of being a good example, loving and showing that love to everyone. 

Sixth, I have made more goals in my future life and have tried to focus on the things that really matter. The happiness and joy that lies in this gospel I will live until the day I die. 

Seventh, the importance of always thinking of others first, serving, sacrificing, and not expecting a reward in the end. I know the blessings I need will come from God more than they will ever come from man. 

Eighth, I love my family more than they know. Time and distance heals and honestly I think I've had enough of those two things. :) 

Ninth, I need to learn to cook. LOL. 

Tenth, that I should be grateful everyday, every moment, for the things I have, have accomplished, and have suffered in my life. I've got it pretty good.

Eleventh, I have seen all of your physical, mental, and emotional support. Thankyou. 

Twelfth, the Atonement of Christ and this gospel changes lives. I have proof of that. I have seen and experimented it. 

Thirteen (bonus), I've gained weight and can't do anything to get rid of it (until I get home to a gym).

Mom, I totally pulled a 'you' the other day. I was in divisions with Hermana Berthelson in her sector (the other side of our ward). We went to go see a new convert, Mary, and her family. Single mom with 3 kids, Camila (10 who acts 12) Adrian (2) and Angel (4 months). Needless to say, they have some problems in their house when it comes to communication, showing love, respect, etc. Well, Hermana Berthelson and I entered the house and I could just see there were monkeys messin' around and feel that something wasn't right. Mary was cleaning the house alone. The kids watching TV. The baby sleeping. Mary was in her work clothes. There was laundry everywhere. The floor had not been swept. And the air was thick enough to cut it. Obviously there was a fight going on and this Talbot hates contention. So psychologist Hermana Talbot kicked in and we all had a talk. We talked about helping each other even when we don't want to, respect, love, communication, and family prayer. It was amazing to see and feel the difference in their home as they made goals to improve. It was literally a 360. Then here comes the Martha Talbot part. I totally made them "kiss and make up". As they hugged each other and smiled, I felt relief. The contention had vanished. Point being Mom, my kids are gonna hate me cause I'm turning into you. :)

I got 2 letters this week!!! One from Dad and one from Brandon. From last September. LoL. Chilean mail. I've come to believe that they use donkeys for transportation.

When we were studying in the sun (during the soccer game) I got thinking. I've realized that everyday we walk in a world that's covered in rainclouds. These rainclouds can be: sadness, inequality, trials, temptations, disobedience, etc. However, we also can find ourselves walking in sunlight (on a cloudy day). Fact: the sun warms your heart while it's beating. We still function (the heart still beats) even if there is no sun. But oh it's so much more enjoyable if we can take that sunlight and put it into the light in our eyes and our hearts to brighten another's day. It's easy to take the sun for granted, but life is the best when we remember where that sunlight lies... Then once we've found it, the truth, we live it out loud. I know the truth and light in my life is this gospel of Christ that I am sharing. I know there is nothing that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can't heal. I know on the rainiest days we learn the most; in these moments, we search to find the light. I hope we are searching for a light that lasts, that's bright, that allows us to see more clearly, that nurtures us, and that we would never dream of living without.

I love you all.
Mwah.

No comments:

Post a Comment