Wednesday, June 4, 2014

49 th B-Day Here we go again... Plumber Brooklyn

49th B-Day Blog of her plumbing skills
more hair out of the drain 

Hey family and friends.






So I wrote you all this big long email, and pooofff.... it disappeared... =( I almost cried, but I will try again.

Anyway, this week I might have given myself a good goose-egg on the top of my head. Ya know, Latinos (most of them) aren't all that tall, so their doorways aren't either. Ya well, I thought I had passed the door jam when boom.... pain, blood, headache, and a scar later... I realized I hadn't quite cleared the door way. I am so blessed to have just one more scar from Chile. Haha.




I got a call... an unexpected call... from Elder Sheffield (secretary in the office) asking me when I wanted to come home. I might have had a panic moment as he gave me the option of November 17th or December 29th being that my return home date is in between those two (due to the change in the mission when I was in the CCM). I told him I could answer his question until I could talk with Hermana Wright. So I called her and it was pretty funny. We decided together (with a bit of persuasion on the part of the mission mom.) that I would stay until December 29th as I told you all before. Being that it is just 9 days after my return home date rather than 5 weeks early. Hermana Wright is going to call Salt Lake to try to find out if there is a new nurse coming to replace me, then we will know if I will extend until January in order to train her. I will let you all know when I know more. But as for now, December 29th is the office plan for my flight.
We met with Ignacio again this last week to give him his first, sit down lesson (not just in the church or outside the gate of his house due to him not having time). He's been coming to church faithfully for many weeks now. The lesson we had with him was amazing and yet hilarious at the same time. He really is a young man that inspires me. His desire and faith to learn and to know the gospel is something I don't think I will ever understand. We have so many adults who have no desire to progress or act on their faith, but Ignacio... at 14... wow. His parents are 100% supportive of his decision, but they really have left him alone as to coming to church, reading the scriptures, praying, the lessons with us, etc. BUT he still continues to surprise me as he moves forward and continues to endure. He was sad this past week when we talked about him being an example for his family and how they can be an eternal family...
I am teaching a 10 year old, Eduardo, English. We contacted his brother, Bernardo, a few weeks ago when we were trying to find one of his neighbors. We have been teaching him and his family the lessons and his mom asked me if I would help Eduardo with English. So I am doing just that... which has proved to be a challenge. The kids that I have taught in the past was to help them with their homework and to understand what their teachers are trying to teach them... and they are all excelling in their classes right now. But with Eduardo there are certain challenges that he has which complicates things. Like: Aspergers, Attention Deficit Disorder, Etc. I have enjoyed teaching him, though, he is very intelligent and has a memory like none other. He really tries hard to understand. I hope he will improve his grades! =)

We have a few baptismal dates that I am praying that these people will be able to achieve their goals. We'll see what happens. Pray for us and for them please.

We were able to see some of the fruits of our labors yesterday in the chapel. 6 investigatos, 3 less-actives in the chapel for the first time in months, and the long-time, live-in boyfriend and kids of Maria Ortega were all together for the first time (a dream of hers that came true). Literally... miracles... I am so thankful. =)

I have been reading a book called, "Our Search for Happiness: An Invitation to Understand the Church of Jesus Chris of Latter-day Saints" by Elder Ballard. I have two parts to send to you all. One this week and the other next week. It is absolutely wonderful. He wrote this 100 page book for all those who do not know our beliefs... that they can read about the basic beliefs we have. I tell you what, I have learned so much, especially different ways to clearly explain to people what I believe. A quote that I loved is about the fruits of gospel living. He had many paragraphs on this; however, this summed up the fruits of being in the service of the Lord in any capacity (not just as a missionary)...

"Weaknesses become strengths, challenges become opportunities, trials become triumphs, and adversity becomes an adventure in the service of the Lord... Another fruit of gospel living."

Focus on the Prince of Peace


"As we commit ourselves to Jesus Christ - spiritually, physically, and emotionally - He blesses our lives with loving direction. Every decision we make from that time on is affected, because there are certain things a man or woman of Christ simply will not do. Our actions become more disciplined, our relationships become more righteous; even our language becomes more pure as we live a life that is centered on Jesus Christ and His teachings. Simply put, after the Spirt of Christ enters our hearts and our souls, we can never be the same again.

That doesn't mean we suddenly become perfect. We all fall short of that mark, which is why we're so thankful for the gift of repentance thought our faith in Christ. It just means that we're always trying to live up to the responsibility of being a true follower of Christ, not because we fear Him or Heavenly Father but because we love Them and want to serve Them.

The best thing about living a Christ-centered life, however, is how it makes you feel. It's hard to have a negative attitude about things if and when your life is focused on the Prince of Peace. There will still be problems. Everyone has them. But faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is a power to be reckoned with in the universe and in individual lives. It can be a causative force through which miracles are wrought. It can also be a source of inner strength through which we find self-esteem, peace of mind, contentment, and the courage to cope. I have seen marriages saved, families strengthened, tragedies overcome, careers energized, and the will to go on lock rekindled as people humble themselves before the Lord and accept His will in their lives. Heartache, tragedy, and trauma of all kinds can be focused and managed when the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ are understood and applied."

The Quality of Our Lives

"'The quality of our lives.' It's an interesting phrase. I suspect most people think of this concept in terms of the comforts and conveniences they enjoy. But I prefer to think they the quality of our lives has more to do with substance than style. A quality life is one that positively influences others and makes the world around it a better place in which to live. A quality life is one that is constantly growing, expanding its horizons and enlarging its borders. A quality life is one that is filled with love and loyalty, patience and perseverance, kindness and compassion. A quality life is one that is based on eternal potential and not confined to this life only."
Put your priorities in order. Remember what's important.

Have a great week!

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment